Google

Sunday, November 27, 2005

SVN, gcc, and c++ on Mac attempt

Back from Seattle, and with power nap, there's still time left on sunday evening.

Sitting in front of monitor, stop searching for MLS that wouldn't do some magical trick to find me an affordable yet nice place in Seattle, I searched for C++ howto websites. My C++ is rustier than some old fixer-upper houses, I'm sure.

opening up a shell on Mac G5, I typed in 'which gcc' and got "no gcc ..." returned.

Should I just give up and open up my linux laptop?

That's typical thing I'd do, so to be not so typical I started browsing/searching for how to get gcc running on Mac.

There were some mailing threads, then I went to gnu.org which landed me on gcc.gnu.org eventually. I saw list of compilers on GNU site, including 'chicken' which sounded funny in name but am sure a serious project. As I'm reading down gcc website, it says gcc is moving away from cvs to subversion. Well, there are tons of people who don't even know about cvs existances yet developer communities had enough of it and is moving away from it? I've heard SVN(Subversion) but have not actively used it. Don't think I'm such an expert in using cvs, creating branches and merging them, and so forth.

Oh well, now that I'm on developer.apple.com site, perhaps I will have a better luck. Hope I wouldn't forget to continue reading/playing w/ C++ now that I've digressed so far away from it and am focused on Mac env. setup for development. as said in Chicken Little: What are we talking about?
Heh

3 Comments:

At 2:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

IIRC, Apple put gcc into an uninstalled software package that's laying dormant on your hard drive. Check the (un)install software applet in the control panel.

 
At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 5:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home